Rand Fishkin is the founder of SparkToro and was previously co-founder of Moz and Inbound.org. He’s dedicated his professional life to helping people do better marketing through the Whiteboard Friday video series, his blog, and his book, Lost and Founder: A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World.
When Rand’s not working, he’s most likely to be in the company of his partner in marriage and (mostly petty) crime, author Geraldine DeRuiter. If you feed him great pasta or great whisky, he’ll give you the cheat code to rank #1 on Google.
1:51 Rand introduces himself, his background and what he’s up to at SparkToro.
3:59 Moving from an SEO specific role at Moz to a broader influence-related one with SparkToro.
5:43 Going beyond Instagram and YouTube and taking a holistic view of how people are influenced.
15:05 Rand’s Twitter algorithm experiment where he found it prioritizes comments over retweets and likes.
17:37 If Instagram hides likes will it impact third-party companies that depend on using them for data?
22:42 Ste asks Rand if he thinks we’re moving into an era where ‘traditional’ disciplines are merging.
26:03 Keeping up to date with SEO changes and trends is a daily practice.
27:09 Influence… not Influencers. Rand’s presentation on why the current field of influencer marketing is too narrow.
31:58 Rand’s advice on building a brand in an era of where we’re up against the search and social algorithms.
34:44 Influencer marketing in the B2B space.
39:15 The algorithmic censorship of reach.
42:50 The one book Rand recommends everyone should read.
Resources/people/articles mentioned in the podcast
- Rand’s book, Lost and Founder
- Rand’s wife, Geraldine, wins James Beard Award
- Engagement analysis of Facebook Live and YouTube watch times vs podcast listen times
- Jack Dorsey wouldn’t introduce the like button if we was starting again
- Rand’s Slideshare deck – Influence… Not Influencers
- Rand’s To Retweet or Not To Retweet flowchart
Rand’s book recommendation
- Liz Fosslien, Mollie West Duffy
- Publisher: Portfolio
- Hardcover: 304 pages
Support the show
If you enjoy The New Influence Podcast you can help support the show by doing the following:
- Make a tip:
- Subscribe on iTunes | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | Google
- Leave a review on iTunes
- Share the show and episodes with your friends and family
- Subscribe to the newsletter on my website